Clare's Nails & Beauty
Spray Tan - £10.00 (Patch Test required 48 hours before)
Spray tanning is a form of self tanning (or sunless tanning) where a fine mist is sprayed onto your body. This mist has an ingredient in it called Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) that interacts with your own skin's chemistry to turn it tan, or bronze.
How To Prepare For Your Spray Tanning Session
Here’s a few tips you should follow to ensure that you get am even, beautiful tan.
1. Make sure you shave or wax before your appointment.
A lot of people say to do it a day or two before (so your pores close) but that only applies if the solution is dark or has a bronzer in it. If it’s a clear solution, you can shave or wax the day of.
2. Be sure to exfoliate your skin the day before your appointment.
Based on the way self tanners work, it’s important to slough off as much dead and dry skin as possible before applying any self tanner or tanning spray. Just trust us, you’ll get a better result!
3. Try to remove moisturizers, makeup and deodorant before you spray tan.
These products contain ingredients like oils that can make it hard for the main ingredient in self tanning spray to bind to your skin. This could cause your spray tan to look streaky and blotchy. You don’t want that!
4. Right before application, put a little vaseline or moisturizer on your knees, ankles, elbows, and palms. Wear a shower cap. Put some lip balm on your lips.
These are areas that can get a little darker, or weirder than the rest of your skin. You’ll have to experiment with this, but protecting these areas from absorbing too much DHA is generally a good idea. You could also wipe those areas down a bit right after the spray is applied.
5. Try to keep the spray tan solution on overnight and don’t put on any moisturizer until the next day.
That means no showering, using soap, or any moisturizer for at least 8 hours. You could shrink that time down a little, but you won’t get the best results if you do. The color starts to develop within an hour or two and really kicks in within 3-5 hours.